The introductory music/jingle for a show on the radio with a presenter introducing and greeting their guest (who must respond) and playing an archive sound clip relating to the guest (approximately 30-40 seconds duration in total). This exercise is to demonstrate understanding of sound editing and mixing and conventions of radio.
Sports FM
Below, you will see everything that we did to try and make the radio production a success.
Above, is me (Edevi) working on producing the Jingle using Garageband (a software of Mac).
Here, we see Celyn (Link below to her blog) editing the radio production, using Audacity, which is where we recorded it.
We see Thiago (Link below to his blog) doing his part, constructing the whole process of photos from our project.
Here, we see Bradley (Link below to his blog), working on his lines and editing parts of the script where it could be made better.
Production Team
Edevi Awodey - Editor/Director
Celyn Perez-Dizon - Editor/Presenter
Bradley Loughnane - Guest
Thiago Duarte - Photographer/Constructionist
Evidence of Planning
What we see here, is a flowchart in which it shows us how the radio production will take place. Firstly, we start of with the Introduction Music, which is the jingle. We secondly have the Introduction Audio. This here is the when the presenter introduces our radio station in which it helps begin the start of the Interview Audio, which is the conversation held between the guest (Bradley) and the presenter (Celyn). Lastly, we have the Outro Music. This is when we end our production and we also include some audio.
On the side, we see that there is some Background Audio; 1 & 2. The first one comes from the Introduction Audio, when the presenter which is Celyn, will talk over it, as it fades over. This also leads to the Interview Audio. Background Audio 2 is in between the Intro. Audio and the Interview Audio. This is when a little jingle is added to to the introduction of the the interview. In simpler terms, the background audio is made up with the jingle, the intro, the archive and the outro. On the head of all of this, is the vocals from the dialogue between the presenter, who is Celyn and the guest, which is Bradley.
As we conducted this sports interview, we had to look for some type of inspiration to be able to do this. So, we took charge and went to YouTube; to try and find out what a sports interview consisted of. As you can see beside this (inset), it shows us a group of presenters from Sky Sports conducting an overview or interview. This gave us the inspiration and extra push to try and make our Radio Task as best as it could be. Although this was a video interview, the context within it gave us an insight to what a sports interview would consist of and how it would pan out.
As you can see above, it shows two radio transcripts; one being the first draft, and the other being the final draft. For our task we had to make our script last at least 30 - 40 seconds as that was what was needed in the criteria. This being so, I read over the first draft, and it seemed to be long and not have a 'life' to it, making it a little boring. I then looked at this first draft, and decided that, more could be done to make this better and stay with the 30-40 second criteria.
Creating the Jingle
When creating the jingle, we used Garageband on a Macbook. The jingle we created is supposed to be the Intro and also the Outro music. Using Garageband wasn't hard at all, as I have been in contact with this software before. Using this software, made creating our jingle that much easier as it gave us the beats that we needed in order to create a type of sporty jingle.
(This here, basically shows us just experimenting with the software, making any type of beats that would go with the Radio show.)
Skills Audit
During the course of this project, I found out what I was good at and also what I really needed to work on. In terms of the good, I thought that I was good at making the audio and orchestrating what we needed to do with the recordings. In basic terms, I thought that my editing skills were good but it was also something that I needed to improve on. The things that I really need to work on, is being able to independently work the software. This is due to the fact that there was numerous times in which I received help with sorting out the software and sorting out the use of our equipment. By working on these things, I would guess that I would not really have anymore problems in the future with anything to do with Radio Production.
Our research was basically to research what we had to do in our preliminary task; which was to conduct a 30 - 40 second radio show. For our research, we used YouTube. This was to find out how other sports shows and radios were conducted. It gave us an insight to what we would have to do in our radio production and how it would help us benefit our task (Link below).
For our planning, we constructed a flowchart in which showed and aided us in how our radio production would been conducted.
On the side, we see that there is some Background Audio; 1 & 2. The first one comes from the Introduction Audio, when the presenter which is Celyn, will talk over it, as it fades over. This also leads to the Interview Audio. Background Audio 2 is in between the Intro. Audio and the Interview Audio. This is when a little jingle is added to to the introduction of the the interview. In simpler terms, the background audio is made up with the jingle, the intro, the archive and the outro. On the head of all of this, is the vocals from the dialogue between the presenter, who is Celyn and the guest, which is Bradley.
As we conducted this sports interview, we had to look for some type of inspiration to be able to do this. So, we took charge and went to YouTube; to try and find out what a sports interview consisted of. As you can see beside this (inset), it shows us a group of presenters from Sky Sports conducting an overview or interview. This gave us the inspiration and extra push to try and make our Radio Task as best as it could be. Although this was a video interview, the context within it gave us an insight to what a sports interview would consist of and how it would pan out.
As you can see above, it shows two radio transcripts; one being the first draft, and the other being the final draft. For our task we had to make our script last at least 30 - 40 seconds as that was what was needed in the criteria. This being so, I read over the first draft, and it seemed to be long and not have a 'life' to it, making it a little boring. I then looked at this first draft, and decided that, more could be done to make this better and stay with the 30-40 second criteria.
Creating the Jingle
When creating the jingle, we used Garageband on a Macbook. The jingle we created is supposed to be the Intro and also the Outro music. Using Garageband wasn't hard at all, as I have been in contact with this software before. Using this software, made creating our jingle that much easier as it gave us the beats that we needed in order to create a type of sporty jingle.
(This here, basically shows us just experimenting with the software, making any type of beats that would go with the Radio show.)
Skills Audit
During the course of this project, I found out what I was good at and also what I really needed to work on. In terms of the good, I thought that I was good at making the audio and orchestrating what we needed to do with the recordings. In basic terms, I thought that my editing skills were good but it was also something that I needed to improve on. The things that I really need to work on, is being able to independently work the software. This is due to the fact that there was numerous times in which I received help with sorting out the software and sorting out the use of our equipment. By working on these things, I would guess that I would not really have anymore problems in the future with anything to do with Radio Production.
Research
Our research was basically to research what we had to do in our preliminary task; which was to conduct a 30 - 40 second radio show. For our research, we used YouTube. This was to find out how other sports shows and radios were conducted. It gave us an insight to what we would have to do in our radio production and how it would help us benefit our task (Link below).
During our research, we had to find our own archive which would be on a different track to our background music. For this, we had to use Soundcloud to search for different tracks and finally find the track which could be suitable to our genre.
As you can see (inset), we, as a group decided to go for the song 'Who Let The Dogs Out' by Baja Man. This decision was based on the fact that although we focused on all sports in general, our initial sport was football and the first few seconds of the song went well with our genre of football. In my opinion, the song was able to emphasize the fact that the footballer is an animal on the pitch and the animal that they are is a dog; due to their hunger for success, presenting to us a better profile of the player.
Planning
For our planning, we constructed a flowchart in which showed and aided us in how our radio production would been conducted.
We had to decide on a name for the Radio Station. Although the name at the end was simple, we thought that simple would be better, so we decided as a group to come to the ultimatum that the radio station would be called 'Sport FM'. This meant to us that it would not only reference to one sport in particular, but in reference to all sports being included.
Now knowing what the name of our radio station was going to be, we then decided to conduct a script for the interview, for which I was in charge of (below shows the script).
If you can see, our script contained only the presenter and the guest. We made two scripts; the first one being a draft. The first one was used to see if it had the conventions and codes of a radio interview. The second script was a bettered version of the first draft as it showed an improved relationship between both the presenter and the guest; making it more interesting and making it sound a whole lot better in comparison to the first draft that I had written (Click for a better view).


No comments:
Post a Comment